27 November 2013

Building a Tardis

With the fiftieth anniversary of the Dr Who series the Tardis has still full attention.

Having been in Great Britain, even before I understood English, I remember my first tea party on a cold stormy day in Plymouth bay (upon checking on Google maps I see it's a estuary. That explains the strong tidal currents). It must have been in 1973 as we could see the newly launched Golden Hint. We started from Drake Island with our kayaks on a high sea,  luckily covered by the bay so the top of the waves were not breaking.  After paddling for some time, and me and others being nervous as the kayaks were flat bottomed and did not keep their direction, we stopped on a beach for what I thought was a meal,  but no they started a stove as it was tea time. The meal came a few hours later as corned beef on sliced bread and some orange colored water.

That's the tea aspect in English life back then. So it is surprising for me to see people in the current Dr Who series act more like adrenaline junkies.  The project is therefore not so much a Tardis thing but rather a Mackenzie Trench-style police box project. I see police boxes mainly as tea houses,  something allowing to put a Bobby a full day on the streets by offering him a place to have tea breaks.

Mackenzie Trench-style police box is interesting as architecture and through its style,  it remembers me for example the house of my grandfather.  I also see some similitudes with old 17th century Dutch tea houses even if they are a little bigger and mostly circular. Seeing a similitude probably shows that human imagination is boundless



The project
Just a Mackenzie Trench-style police box, but simpler, smaller and no concrete and as it is an inside project half of it to become a closed bookshelf. I am not going to put anything on paper beforehand, so I plan to make it piece by piece:
- start with the two side columns
- add the sides
- the top?
- the doors (similar to the sides but hinged)
- the interior
- the base and fitting (that should be the Tardis part of the project)

By absence of plans anything that doesn't fit will be eliminated.

No comments: