25 December 2012

Wooden planes - French names

Fifth post in a series about western wooden planes

Winter Sales #1:  I am ending the year with as many unpublished drafts as blog posts. So in a late attempt of efficiency,  I am going to push out some of them and drown the others.

Concerning French or Dutch names for wooden planes I am no specialist.  I expected a difference as Dutch offers like German through composed words more descriptive names. ex: Reformputzhobel newish-smoothing-plane. Where French can have unique names.

I knew rabot, varlope and plane add to that riflard, guillaume, guimbarde, tarabiscot, wastringue, racloir.  Racloir is easy that's a scraper.  Tarabiscoté means something complex so tarabiscot is a ... a beading tool? Yes of course, overuse it and you get something tarabiscoté.  Guimbarde is an old car ... but also a router plane.  Elementary my dear, it's also a mouth harp and those look sort of similar. Wastringue sounds good ...
To save me from guessing any further I purchased a small book Dans l'atelier de pépère with this image in it.  Lostartpress published a translation,  but that will be of no help when learning French names.

Feuilleret is apparently a fillister plane. It makes a feuillure that accepts a feuillet and that was a board of  3/4" or less thick, where it is planche otherwise.  Riflard is a scrub plane, from rifler, you know like in rifle (fusil).  Plane is absent, that's a draw knife. Where wastringue is a spokeshave,  with a w, probably pronounced v, it looks foreign, no cue where that comes from.

I have never seen a bouvet à joindre, it corresponds to the whole metal Stanley #148 match plane.  I add a picture of the section to make this more clear.  It's a plow plane and a double rabbet plane sharing a central fixed fence. Now we are at it there is rabais (a sales rebate) from rabaisser (lowering)

I better forget about all this,  by the time I meet someone who know those names,  I will mix them all up.