12 September 2010

Woodworking course - tools

I started looking for a tenon saw and some chisels for my woodworking course.

stanley backsaw
The tenon saw was not a problem as I have an older 14" stanley backsaw that I probably bought to serve as mitre saw (in the eighties?).  Over the decenia it has accumulated some rust, so I did a first attempt to sharpen a saw on this one using a triangular file. To keep the operation simple I did file at 90°,  with those small teeth and the rust there is not much to see about the original setting.  By lack of saw vise, setting the back in a vise and holding the blade with my hand. After that I made a comparative test with the usable saws of my shop, it's a winner and my new frame saw clearly needs to be sharpened,  only the Veritas dovetail saw cuts 20%? better.   The only potential problem I see is that I am not sure it cuts as straight as before sharpening. There are alternatives, in the Axminster catalogue a more modern hard poited 12" Stanley the  FatMax Tenon Saw goes 10€.

bahco 414
For the chisels I decided to buy a Bahco 3 chisel (12, 18 and 25mm) promotion, delivered free of cost. And to probably complete it with a 8mm mortise chisel later on, MHG probably as they can be cheaper than others.

After that I repaired my marking gauge replacing the small nail that serves as pin with a steel nail. And added a folding rule to the whole.

Having found my tools I went on internet for a search about woodworking courses related hand tools lists.  I only found two of them the one of David Savage and another from the Errington School.  The list of David Savage is interesting as it was probably build up by a person with opinions faced with an endless stream of advanced students trying out various tools and makers.

The David Savage list
David Savage starts his list strongly when he favors Lie Neilson planes,  as it is aimed to full time students and professionals it is understandable that he can go for high cost planes and besides he limits his choice to a set of three bench planes.  The saws section is also limited to three saws:  After binning his Disston he goes for a cheap hard pointed Stanley panel saw. Next a rip cut carcass saw with a 14 tpi blade (Lie Neilson) and to finish a small back saw.  And maybe a coping saw as a number four.

Measurement is done with a number of steel rules (1000, 600, 300mm) of similar scale.  Here I agree that a steel rule is better than a folding rule and I am likely to add a 300mm steel rule, as it fits in my folding rule pocket, and a small combination square to my set.  For marking gauges he says: .... .... three simple gauges will do it.

Chisels get more attention,  Lie Neilson for example offers (heavy) fully bevelled bevel edge chisels,  where  my Bahco bevelled chisels have very high straight edges,  and this can give a problem for example when dovetailing, as would a mortise chisel.  Here I have to wait and see if any problem arises.