03 May 2010

Cross-grain construction - 2

A short time after being critical to cross-grain glue ups,  I did a simple repair to replace broken drawer sliders (drawer pulls are best set in the centre).  By lack of replacement sliders, thin enough to fit, I glued wooden rails  to support the drawer.  The side panel is 14 mm (1/2"+) thin and the bottom of the drawer is already grooved, leaving no room for cut outs to fit a standard drawer slider.
It is only when placing the drawers back that I became aware I had made a cross grain glue up with the new drawer rails. What was I thinking when glueing?
The drawers are not very deep, so probably the side panels will not crack, but nevertheless.
Thinking of possible alternatives, one solution is to use four screws and to use glue only between the first two screws, that's on third of the rail length,  where the highest strain is;  as the drawer rests fully on the front part when it is opened. The two back screws are then best set in slotted holes.

I also found an excellent book discussing, among other things, all these cross grain aware solutions when building furniture Rodale's Illustrated Cabinetmaking by Bill Hylton.

Parallel to this, I see that at Logan Cabinet Shoppe Bob Rozaieski is documenting the making of a new Moxolson Workbench. The base is made by now, the top and massive sides will be fixed cross to most of the base structure.  Looking further (or is it back) at his documentation I see he split up the top to two parts,  keeping the widths limited to 11" (28 cm).  I will have to wait and see how the top is attached: glue or slotted pocket holes, buttons, sliding dovetails, ... . (edit: it became slotted holes in additional cleats and partial glue up,  a nice workbench)